Thursday, July 26, 2012

Kids Love

I've always love being with kids: playing, teaching, working with, and photographing them. So nothing makes me happier than to be in Bali where I am always surrounded by them. I was happily abandoning my blog posting activities to soak in the joy of being with them. Three of the closest to me are my niece and nephews, age 13, 11, and 9. Then, mostly through them I got to meet so many others. 

One fun event for me was when I got to attend my niece's elementary school graduation ceremony. All the non-graduating kids participated in a performance, and they were just looking gorgeous in their dance outfits. Here's is my youngest nephew who got to be one of the warriors in the heroic Wirayudha dance. 



And one of the Legong dancers:



Then, as school was on vacation for the most part I was in Bali, I saw kids everywhere I went. These three were hanging out with their puppies in the backyard of a natural dye workshop I was visiting where their parents work.

They were having fun with three of the six puppies they have.

The same happened when I visited Pura Meduwe Karang. As my husband and I were entering the temple, three girls ran up to us offering flowers. It turned out that the oldest and youngest one are the daughters of the temple's priest, and the one in red polkadots is of the temple's guardian, Pak Komang Jer. 

They had more flowers than visitors to give them to.


I already had one flower on each ear, so I thought they should have one too.



The older girls by the lovely temple carving


I felt privileged to meet these girls, but also a little sad that not many people visit this temple. I think the location in the north made it unpopular as most visitors to Bali tend to crowd the South and Center part of the island. If you ever made it to Kintamani to see the lake, please try to continue north to Kubutambahan and see this temple with its unique style of ornamentations not seen anywhere else on the island. Don't forget to bring your open hearts for these girls!

No comments :

Post a Comment