Monday, June 23, 2014

Bookshops

It's a good news for readers like me that there are quite a few bookshops in Bali. The most visible is the Periplus chain with more than ten outlets on the island. They sell new books and magazine in English language, but browsing is a hassle because everything is shrink-wrapped. So, I'm not that big of a fan and only buy from them books that are already on my wish list.

For most Indonesians, Gramedia, a national chain that's been around since I was a kid, is the go-to bookstore. They have a large selection of books and magazines in both English and Indonesian, and also stationery and some arts & crafts supplies. I usually go to the one in Bali Galeria Mall on Jalan Raya By Pass not too far from the airport. For someone based in Ubud, that's not very convenient. So I only go there when I have other things to do in the area.

In Ubud, my favorite is Ganesha Bookshop. A tiny, quiet shop with interesting collection. On the front section of the store, you can find used books in English and other languages that include fictions and subjects ranging from travel to spirituality, while in the back you can find a selection of wonderful old and new references on Indonesian history, politics, arts and literature. Like a precious jewel box full of surprises, this bookshop never fails to offer something that I want to take home.

Look for these landmark at the corner of Jalan Raya (Main Road) Ubud and Jalan Jembawan.


For those not venturing to Ubud, Ganesha also have shops in Sanur and Kerobokan that I have yet to visit.

No comments :

Post a Comment